Every business wants to generate more website traffic, more web leads and more sales. So how do you get there from here? How can you ensure that the money you spend on marketing generates enough sales to justify the expense? The simple answer is strategy. If you clearly define where you want to go and how you will get there from here, then you have a strategic plan and a roadmap for success.
To win the race online, you have to understand your customers’ view of the world – their pain points, their information needs, alternative products and services, online influencers and more. You have to figure out where your customers live online, what questions they ask, who they ask for advice, how they decide to buy and what makes them tick. Once you understand your customers’ and prospects’ journey, you can create a marketing roadmap for each online channel that defines how to connect with potential customers in a meaningful way with the right sales offer on the right channel at the right time.
Elements of the Strategic Plan
- Benchmark your website DNA in the areas of organic search, paid search and social media
- Benchmark the competition’s strengths and weaknesses
- Set realistic goals for progress moving forward
- Invest in the right online channels
- Develop project milestones, deliverables and timelines
- Establish KPIs – both lagging and leading indicators
- Setup marketing analytics to measure, test, optimize everything
- Balance in-house resources with agency expertise and resource