According to Google, shopping campaigns are the future, and PLA campaigns will soon be in the past.
Google Shopping campaigns were introduced to all advertisers running Product Listing Ads (PLAs) in February in an attempt to make PLA set up and management easier. The shopping campaigns do three things:
- Offer the availability to browse inventory directly in AdWords
- Report on performance down to the product-level
- Bid competitively with new metrics like benchmark data and impression share
Now, new features will begin rolling out in response to advertiser feedback, with the end result being that Shopping campaigns will take over legacy PLA campaigns.
Here are some of the next changes for shopping campaigns:
- Size your opportunity with Bid Simulator
- Options to create a Shopping campaign
- Multiple ad groups for advanced retailers
At some point in August of this year, the legacy PLA campaigns will be transitioned to Shopping campaigns automatically, so advertisers have approximately another five months to properly optimize their Shopping campaigns.